I’ve Been Served With Divorce Papers. Now What?

November 2, 2013

It’s Tuesday and you are getting out of your car at work. You’re making a mental checklist of what you need to do today: finish a report, drop off the dry cleaning, soccer practice at 6:00. Someone approaches you, hands you some papers and says “You’ve been served.”  Your spouse wants a divorce.

Unfortunately, finding out your spouse has filed for divorce is not a pleasant experience and you may feel the urge to put it last on your “To Do” list. Do NOT put this task off. In Alabama, you have thirty days to file an Answer to a Divorce complaint or you risk having a default judgment against you. Read the papers in their entirety. Your papers will have the initial Complaint, but may also include things such as Interrogatories, Requests for Production, Requests for Admission, Pendente Lite Relief, and other things. You may already have a court date to determine issues such as custody, visitation, child support, marital home occupancy, etc.

Every divorce is unique and our attorneys are trained to deal with basic divorces as well as complex divorce litigation.  We will meet with you as quickly as possible in order to answer any questions you may have about your divorce.

Huntsville Divorce Lawyers at Hodges Trial Lawyers, P.C. Provide Experienced and Compassionate Counsel to Those Served With Divorce Papers

If you have been served divorce papers, a knowledgeable Huntsville divorce lawyer at Hodges Trial Lawyers, P.C. can help you. We have extensive family law experience in all matters of the divorce process, including child support and child custody. Call us at 256-539-3110 or contact us online for an initial consultation. Located in Huntsville and Athens, Alabama, we serve clients throughout North Alabama, Madison County, Limestone County, Marshall County, Jackson County, Morgan County, and Lauderdale County.