Daniel D. Dwyer
Attorney Dwyer has been practicing law for twenty-five years. He has been affiliated with Hodges Trial Lawyers since spring, 2017. Dan’s practice here at the firm has covered a plethora of legal issues. He was originally hired to address two highly contentious probate quagmires, one involving wrongful death litigation due to a publicized murder-suicide in Limestone County. With those contentious matters now resolved, Dan handles all of the firm’s probate issues including estate administration, adoption, guardianships, conservatorships, and general estate planning and Will and Trust drafting.
In addition to his probate responsibilities, Attorney Dwyer handles domestic relations matters, criminal defense, Protection From Abuse filings, traffic ticket defense, and small business formations and transactions. He also assists Attorneys Hodges and Attorney Burkett with a substantial civil litigation caseload which includes a growing number of property division and quiet title matters. Dan’s cases have sent him to city and county courthouses in the following counties in North Alabama – Madison, Limestone, Jackson, Morgan, Marshall, and Lauderdale.
Attorney Dwyer was born and raised in Hartford County, Connecticut. He attended Williams College, a small liberal arts college in Massachusetts where he played football and majored in English. After coaching high school and college football for a few years, Dan attended law school at night at the Quinnipiac College School of Law, graduating magna cum laude. He practiced law in Connecticut for approximately eighteen years.
Attorney Dwyer served as an adjunct professor at the University of Alabama – Huntsville, teaching Constitutional Law in the evenings, during the 2019-20 academic year.
Outside of work, Attorney Dwyer focuses on family and sports. He and his wife, Stephanie, are the proud parents of three sons. The oldest, Bo (USNA, ’20), is a 1st Lieutenant Battalion Assistant Operations Officer stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC. The next two, Major and Finn, are Auburn Tigers, Class of 2024 and 2027, respectively. Attorney Dwyer has coached all of his sons in various sports over the last 20 years, most recently football and baseball at The Randolph School in Huntsville.
Attorney Dwyer is admitted to the State Bar of Alabama and the Federal District Court – Northern District of Alabama. He is a member of the Huntsville Bar Association and a frequent volunteer with HMCBA Volunteer Lawyers Program.
- J.D., Magna Cum Laude, Quinnipiac College (now University) School of Law, May 1998
- B.A. English, Williams College, June 1992
Past Professional Associations and Community Involvement
- Hartford County Bar Association – Member, 1998 – 2016; Chair, Young Lawyers
- Division, 2001-2003
- Hartford County Bar Association, Lawyers Referral Service – 2008 – 2016
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association – member, 1998 – 2012
- Connecticut Bar Association – member, 1998-2011
- Connecticut Criminal Defense Lawyers Association – past member
- Past counsel to Connecticut Volkswagen Dealers Advertising Association, Inc.
- Special Public Defender – State of Connecticut
- Church of St. Dunstan, Glastonbury, CT – Parish Council, 2015-2016; Offertory
- Collector, 2000-2016
- Chairman – Men’s Golf Tournament Committee, Glastonbury Hills Country Club, 2002 – 2016
- National Football Foundation- Director and Secretary, Northern Connecticut Chapter, 1997-2003
- Randolph School, Huntsville, j.v. baseball, 2017
- Randolph School (RAP) – 5th-6th-grade football
- Glastonbury Basketball Association – Travel team & House team Coach, 2008-2015
- CT Capitals AAU Youth Baseball Team coach – 2014
- Glastonbury Little League – District team coach, 2010 – 2014; House league coach,
- 2005 – 2015
- Glastonbury Amateur Baseball coach, 2013
- Glastonbury Youth Football Association coach, 2008
- Hartwick College football, 1994-95
- Salisbury School football, 1993
- Academic Honors – law school:
- Graduated 8th in law school class
- Academic Excellence Award, 1998
- Am Jur/Superior Classroom Performance Award, 1998
- Excellence In Clinical Work Award, 1997
Honors and Activities
- Williams College Football Awards
- Belvidere Brooks Award
- Edward J. Coughlin Award
- Charles D. Salmon Award