William V. Burkett
I was born in Huntsville, Alabama and grew up working in and around my parents’ local small business. I graduated from Randolph School (’13) where I was a member of the inaugural football team. I also played on the golf team and trumpet in the school band. After graduation, I attended Auburn University. I graduated cum laude in 2017 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration.
From there, I attended Cumberland School of Law in Birmingham, Alabama. During my time at Cumberland, I served as a Junior Editor for the Cumberland Law Review and on the board as the Online Research Editor. I authored an article on Alabama property law and eminent domain titled: “Southern Takings: Alabama Eminent Domain, Inverse Condemnation, and Regulatory Takings” 50 Cumb. L. Rev. 211 (2020). I received seven best paper awards including: Contracts I & II, Constitutional Law I, Property, State Constitutional Law, State and Local Taxation, and Advanced Evidence. I was also fortunate to serve on the Honor Court and as an Academic Support Mentor. At Cumberland, I had the opportunity to study under one Federal Circuit Judge, two Federal Magistrate Judges, and a Municipal Court Judge. I graduated magna cum laude from Cumberland School of Law in 2020.
My wife Alessandra and I were happy to return to Huntsville after I finished law school. We have made our home here and she is working in outside sales for United Rentals, Inc.
I handle personal injury, property, and civil litigation matters. Whether it is a contract, injury case, or real estate dispute; Hodges Trial Lawyers is prepared to guide you through the legal process. I enjoy hearing the life stories of our diverse clients and working hard to achieve their objectives. Being raised around a small business, I understand what it takes to get the job done.
When not practicing law, I enjoy spending time outdoors, working on my old Jeep, and playing golf.
- J.D. Cumberland School of Law, May 2020
- B.S. Business Administration, Auburn University, May 2017
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- Alabama, 2020
Honors and Activities
- Cumberland Law Review: Executive Board Member, Online Research Editor, and Junior Editor.
- Best Paper Awards: Contracts I & II, Constitutional Law I, Property, State Constitutional Law, State and Local Taxation, and Advanced Evidence.
- Christian Legal Society – Treasurer and Member
- Federalist Society Member
- Cumberland Honor Court
- Academic Support Mentor
- Dean’s List
- Southern Takings: Alabama Eminent Domain, Inverse Condemnation, and Regulatory Takings, 50 Cumb. L. Rev. 211 (2020)
- Yellowfin Yachts, Inc. v. Barker Boatworks, L.L.C., 49 Cumb. L. Rev. 511 (2019)
- Williamson v. Brevard Cty, and the Goldilocks Prayer Rule, 1 Cumb. L. Rev. Online (2019).
- Associate at Hodges Trial Lawyers, P.C.
- Magistrate Judge Herman N. Johnson, Jr. of the Northern District of Alabama – Legal Intern (2019)
- Magistrate Judge T. Michael Putnam of the Northern District of Alabama – Judicial Intern (2019)
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings L.L.P. – Summer Clerk (2018-2019)