Going through a divorce is one of the most difficult experiences someone can have regardless of which side you are on. Along with the difficulty of the divorce itself comes the difficulty of selecting an attorney to assist you with the process. It seems like a daunting task, but knowing what to look for and consider can make choosing the right attorney for you much easier. Below are some things to look for and consider when choosing an attorney:
· Availability: What is the attorney’s availability like? Are you able to be scheduled for your initial appointment within a reasonable time frame?
· Location: Location is a very important factor. If your attorney is in a city or county outside of where your divorce is taking place, there may be additional expenses and fees with relation to the attorney’s time and travel if the attorney needs to go to court. In addition, if the attorney is far from your residence, are you willing to make the trip to meet with him/her, possibly several times?
· Cost: While most attorneys are unable to give you an exact fee before reviewing the details of your case, please keep in mind that attorneys have different rates, and you must find something that you are comfortable with.
· Recommendations: Knowing someone who has had experience with a specific attorney can be helpful to get a better understanding of how that attorney works with their clients. Keep in mind however, that although you may have the same type of case as someone else no two cases are identical.
· Practice Areas: If you are seeking assistance from an attorney with your divorce, then you want to focus your search on attorneys whose practice includes and focuses on divorce so that you can be assured that that attorney has the knowledge to properly assist you.
· Updates: Do the attorneys and/or their staff regularly update their clients regarding the status of their case? Even though nothing may have happened in your case yet, receiving an update can give you the peace of mind that your case is being handled properly.
At Hodges Trial Lawyers, we have attorneys who focus on divorce and family law, and our offices are conveniently located in downtown Huntsville and downtown Athens. We take pride in the work we do and in giving each client regular updates as to how their case is progressing. If you are experiencing a divorce or have other family law concerns, our attorneys have the experience and knowledge to advise and assist you with your legal issues.