Child Support Modifications

Can I Modify Child Support?

A parent may request a modification of child support at any time after an initial child support order has been entered by the Court.  Whether you are requesting an upward modification in the amount received or a downward modification in the amount paid, the parent petitioning the Court has the burden of proving a material change in circumstances.  The Court will typically recognize a change in circumstances when the previous amount paid and the new calculation varies by at least 10% due to factors such as an increase or decrease in income.  A 10% change does not, however, indicate an automatic change in child support obligations.   Contact Hodges Trial Lawyers if you have had a change in circumstances which affects child support.