blog banner

Dangers of Buckyballs

July 29, 2012

Be prepared to warn your children of the dangers of Buckyballs if the Consumer Product Safety Commission is unsuccessful in its suit. The CPSC claims that the Buckyballs, small magnetic balls, pose a major risk to children due to the lack of warnings and childproof packaging.  And if a child accidently swallows a Buckyball, it can become stuck in the intestines and require invasive surgery to remove.  In March, a 12 year old child was hospitalized for six days and required two surgeries to remove the Buckyball she had mistakenly swallowed after using it to simulate a tongue-stud piercing.  Her mother never saw the warning on the packaging and claims that even if it she did, it “wasn’t sufficient enough” for a parent buying the product.