Most drivers will be involved in a wreck at some point in their lives. Even a minor fender bender can be frightening. Knowing what to do after a car crash can help calm your nerves and make the experience less stressful. If you are in a wreck in Alabama, remember these tips to stay safe, gather evidence, and protect a potential claim:
- Check for injuries: Look for obvious signs of injury to everyone involved. If someone is hurt, call an ambulance. Do not attempt to move anyone who has been hurt. Wait for emergency personnel for assistance.
- Move your vehicle to safety: If you are not injured and your car is drivable, move your car out of traffic to prevent a secondary collision. Turn the vehicle off and exit if you can. Use flashers, cones, or flares to caution approaching drivers.
- Call the police: Even if the accident does not appear to be severe, it is important to contact the police. A police report includes details about the accident that may establish fault, an important part of the claims process.
- Gather information about the accident: Without important information related to the crash, liability can be difficult to establish. Take down names and numbers for all drivers and passengers at the scene. Record vehicle information, including the make, model, and license plate numbers, as well as photos of the accident scene.
- Call your auto insurance company: Report the accident to your auto insurer as soon as possible. Many companies allow you to file an accident claim online or through a mobile app right from the scene of the wreck.
- Contact a lawyer: A car accident can be costly in so many ways physically, mentally, and financially. Becoming injured in a serious crash is not only traumatic emotionally, it also brings medical expenses for hospitalization, surgery, and ongoing care. A skilled attorney reviews the details of your wreck and recommends the best legal course of action to move forward and begin the recovery process.
Even if the crash seems minor at first, some injuries and property damage are not always immediately apparent. The losses might be more extensive than you realize. That is why it is essential to enlist the skilled counsel of a Huntsville car wreck lawyer to protect your rights after a wreck.
Huntsville Car Wreck Lawyers at Hodges Trial Lawyers, P.C. Protect Your Interests After an Accident
It is hard to think clearly during an unexpected car wreck. If you remember these steps at the scene, you will be in a good position to take legal action against careless drivers. Schedule a free case review with a Huntsville car wreck lawyer at Hodges Trial Lawyers, P.C. to learn about your rights and options for recovering compensation. To get started, call us at 256-539-3110 or contact us online today. Located in Huntsville and Athens, Alabama, we represent clients throughout North Alabama, Madison County, Limestone County, Morgan County, and Lauderdale County.